LG V30: South Korean multinational consumer electronics manufacturer LG has special plans for their device line-up in 2017 and it is quite unprecedented that the company is striving to incorporate the latest technological advancements in their upcoming devices. LG’s V series have been a line-up which has stirred quite substantial acclaim since the launch of the V10 back in 2015 and it looks like LG is looking to follow up the 2016 LG V20 with yet another smartphone in their premium V line-up, and i.e. the LG V30 Smartphone.
- Yes, in 2017, one of the most anticipated devices is no doubt the LG V30 by LG which has already been a topic of huge speculation and rumors around it. The South Korean company has certainly chosen to stay tight-lipped in regard to any specifications whatsoever regarding the upcoming device but that has not stopped anyone from speculating about what this upcoming smartphone is expected to feature. One of the major highlights of the v10 and v20 smartphones by LG is the secondary displays sported by the devices.
- Now, according to a famous tech leaker named Evan Blass, the phone manufacturer plans to drop the secondary display for LG V30. Based on reports, despite the company's attempt to implement a different feature to make the LG V30 stand out from other high-end smartphones in the market, it appears that not everyone is excited about a secondary display.
LG V30 Smartphone Features
The LG V30 is expected to sport the same 5.7-inch IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen as the V20 but will see a ramp up in resolution offering 2K display (2560 x 1440 pixels). The display of the device is slated to be protected by Corning’s latest Gorilla Glass 5 making it impervious to scratches, drops or accidental external damages. Sporting a 83% screen-to-body ratio, the V30 is also expected to call quits on the secondary display from the previous iterations of the line-up.
There is no doubt about the fact that LG will surely target their next smartphone to compete with the flagships of Apple and Samsung and for that, a ramp up in the processor field is an absolute must. The LG V30 featured the Snapdragon 821 chipset from Qualcomm technologies succeeding the Snapdragon 820. Now ,the CES 2017 saw the coveted chipset manufacturer launch their latest 10nm processor, the Snapdragon 835 and LG is surely pegged to incorporate this latest piece of technology in their upcoming device.
- According to the Qualcomm, the new fabrication process makes the chipset up to 30 percent more efficient while offering performance improvement of 27 percent. The 14nm based Snapdragon 821 processor optimises battery use on Google Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones. A recent benchmark result leaked earlier this month has alleged that the 835 chipset has an octa-core design with a clock speed of 2.2GHz. The benchmark test also revealed the chipset will house an Adreno 540 GPU. The new Adreno 540 scored 30 percent faster than the current Adreno 530.
The LG V30 is reported to be made available in two different variants according to the on-board storage and RAM specifications of the device. One of the variant would feature 6GB of DDR3 Ram and 32GB of onboard storage while the more pricier variant is expected to sport 64GB of on-board storage with 8GB of RAM. Both the device would feature expandable storage up to 256 GB via external micro-SD cards.
Today, every single activity can be done using the help of smartphones and with the introduction of 4G networks and high-end games/applications, the battery life of a device is a really important factor. More and more companies are striving to make the battery efficient devices which would last more than a day on a single charge as well as fast charging capabilities.
- The LG V20 had already sported a significant ramp up from the LG V10 by sporting a larger 3,200 mAh battery and the company is striving to improve on preserving battery life as well.
- The LG V30 is slated to hit the market housing a 4,000 mAh battery with Qualcomm’s Quickcharge 4.0 technology, a feature which is 20% faster and 30% more power efficient than Quick Charge 3.0. Qualcomm says that the Quick Charge 4.0 can charge a fully drained battery up to 50% in just 15 minutes though specific USB Type-C based adapters.
LG V30 Camera
The LG V20 had been one of the first devices to feature a dual-lens camera setup and the upcoming v30 from the South Korean company is pegged to improve on this hugely successful feature of the device.
- The LG V30 is expected to retain the dual-lens camera system from its predecessor sporting a 21MP Wide-Angle plus an 8MP telephoto lens setup with both the sensors reportedly manufactured by Sony.
- The rear camera is expected to have all the important features like laser autofocus, OIS and dual-tone LED flash. The camera will also be able to shoot videos in varying resolutions like 160p@30fps, 1080p@30fps and 720p@120fps.
The V20’s front camera had been a point of criticism for the smartphone with many consumers complaining about the picture quality rolled out by the front snapper. The V30 will surely be sporting significant improvements in the front camera department by sporting a ramped up 8MP front camera for video calling and selfie taking purposes.
While most of the things we know about the LG V30 are based on mere speculation, this particular point comes straight from official sources. Well, while they do not come from LG themselves, it comes from the mouth of Google. As it happens, the company has recently helped shed some light on LG’s plans to implement virtual reality technology in the upcoming V30 with the help of Google’s Daydream. The announcement was made at Google’s recent IO developers conference, and according to sources present at the conference, it was noted that “LG’s next flagship smartphone” was arriving with Google Daydream support.
This announcement, which in all possibility is about the LG V30 itself, although the device itself renmained unnamed, also seems to confirm the OLED display that the high-end flagship has long been rumored to come with. This is because, in simple terms, no smartphone equipped with an LCD panel can be compatible with the Daydream VR.
LG V30 Wishlist
OLED Display Panel
LG have been working on OLED technology since quite some time now and the South Korean company has been pegged to be the one fo the first fimes to roll out OLED technology om their device display screens. For those unaware, significant advantages of OLED include deep black levels which no rival display tech can reproduce, rich and accurate colour, dynamic contrast, smoother visuals and better viewing angles.
- Though there is no official word from LG, regarding the usage of OLED panels in the upcoming V30, it certainly does form an important part of our wishlist pertaining to the upcoming device.
After suffering a huge setback with their previous flagship device, the G5, LG is all set to come back with a bang this year with their upcoming LG V30 handset. LG V20 gets massive success since the inception of the smartphone and all the rumors regarding the LG V30 indicates that the upcoming smartphone is surely capable of continuing the legacy. According to the recent reports, LG 30 is all set to follow the footprints of the Samsung and is going to feature curved edge-to-edge OLED displays. News from Korea has suggested that the Korean tech conglomerate has already speeded up the production of the curved OLED displays to include this cutting edge display technology on the upcoming LG V30.
The OLED display technology, which is also known as the AMOLED display is famous for its lower power consumption and high contrast between black and white, unlike the LCD display. Currently, only Nokia and Samsung smartphones feature the AMOLED display.
Not only that, LG is expected to supply the OLED display to other smartphone manufacturing brands too. As per various trusted sources, the Chinese smartphone giant, Xiaomi has already made pacts with LG for the supply of the OLED displays for their upcoming high-end smartphone Mi Note 2. Apart from Xiaomi, Apple is also interested to be included in the list of the coveted clients of LG’s OLED display. Google is also planning to launch their next handset of the Pixel series with the flexible OLED screen and thus they are also interested in acquiring the service of the LG Display.
IP68 Water Resistivity
The most premium of smartphones today do come at a hefty price and therefore, protecting these devices from external damages is a requisite if you do not want to spend any more money on repairing it. Water resistivity is one such important feature for smartphones as accidental exposure to water, rain are inevitable and making sure that the device is functional post exposure is a must.
- The LG V30 would do far better off if the device is made IP68 water resistivity certified. This certification will make the device completely dust resistant and protected against water ingress to a maximum depth of 1.5 metres of water for up to 30 minutes.
Fingerprint-scanner Embedded Home Button
The LG v20 did not disappoint us on the device security front packing in a fingerprint scanner on the rear panel of the device. Now incase of incidences where the device is being used for some purpose keeping its back attached to any other device such as a charging panel or a VR headset, unlocking it would be big hassle.
Our wishlist for the LG V30 includes fingerprint scanner of the upcoming device embedded on the home button enabling fast and optimal unlocking of the device.
LG V30 Release Date
2017 is going to see a host of premium devices rolled out by the big companies and there is no doubt that the upcoming smartphone market will witness a lot of competition between the top smartphones of today. LG’s V series has already been pegged to be a major contender for Apple’s iPhone 7s variants as well as Samsung’s upcoming Galaxy S8 and the premise surrounding the smartphone is huge. Judging by the pattern LG has followed in releasing its device, a possible LG V30 Release Date can be narrowed down to Q4 2017.
- The LG V10 was rolled out by the company in October 2015 post which it was made available to consumers.
- Similarly, September 2016 saw the South Korean company launch their next iteration, the LG V20 which was made available later in October.
- Taking into consideration that the company’s launch pattern for the V series remains unchanged, we might well see the LG V20 make an appearance in September 2017 in the company’s official launch event.
LG V30 Price Speculation
LG has strived to incorporate the latest advancements in technology within their V series smartphones and as a result, the devices have beared a price tag which is a little heavy on the pocket. The V10 was available at a price of $411 at the time of the launch back in 2015 which was quite a substantial amount two years earlier. The V20 which was launched by LG in September 2016 bore a major ramp up In price costing a mammoth $809 price tag. Something which was pegged to be unaffordable by a lot of people.
- Considering the fact that the LG V30 will release at a similar time-frame as the flagships of Apple, there is a considerable speculation that LG will not ramp up the price of the upcoming device too high. Nevertheless, the LG V30 is pegged to be priced somewhere between $900 and $1000 for the 32GB/6GB RAM variant and between $1100 and $1200 for the 64Gb/ *GB RAM variant.